Next live podcast: Sunday, October 22nd with Mike Spiegelman and Carl. 2pm PST on mutinyradio.fm

Friday, June 23, 2017

6/11/17 Episode 53: A Night in Heaven (1983)


Listen to Let's Watch A Full-Length Movie on YouTube podcast and watch A Night in Heaven (1983), embedded above, at the same time. Start with the podcast. Click here to launch podcast in a separate browser.

Since the airing of this episode and my finally writing this blog entry, John G. Avildsen, the director of this film, has passed away on June 16th, 2017 at age 81. He was best known for Rocky (1976) and The Karate Kid (1984) and not this misguided but grounded martial crisis fluff. I had written about how the movie tried to ride a fad like Chippendales into a Saturday Night Fever (1977) phenom (see my notes after the break), but I'd like to change tracks and say really liked Avildsen's films. Knowing him for just A Night in Heaven (1983) is like knowing Otto Preminger only for Skidoo (1968): it's not an example of the director's quality.

One of my town's movie houses showed Avildsen's then-latest, The Karate Kid Part III (1990), as a free screening. Everyone went. It was an event. That's what I liked about Avildsen's films like Rocky, Rocky V (1990) and Lean On Me (1989), their releases were events. Rest in Peace.


Here's my notes:

No comments:

Post a Comment